In this important episode, I discuss how to prevent unwanted puppy behaviors.
In this important episode, I discuss how to prevent unwanted puppy behaviors. Follow these steps below.
- Do not have the mindset of “fixing” your puppy, they are not broken.
- Two parts to preventing unwanted behaviors 1) Before the puppy knows they exist, and 2) at the beginning of the act of displaying the unwanted behavior.
- When my dog Dixie was with me the very first day, I corrected her play biting, jumping, and barking.
- If your puppy already has the behavior, such as jumping, correct the behavior the moment the puppy begins to do it, not after they have done it a few times.
- Stop reinforcing unwanted behaviors.
- Redirect puppy to an alternative behavior
- Reward the behavior that you want.
Check out our sponsor Mendota Pet at http://mendotapet.com
Visit our website https://www.puppytalkpodcast.com/
Support the show (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/puppytalk)