Today we talk about leash training tips for puppies.
This is our 1 Year Anniversary Episode! Today we talk about leash training tips for puppies. Below is a list of the topics discussed and links to recommended equipment.
- Nothing is more important than the dog walk, If properly done, it builds the relationship, discipline, and obedience.
- 3 Types of walks: potty break, training walk, enrichment walk
- Set you intention for the walk
- Use good equipment - no rear clip harness. Use easy walk harness or flat collar. Links in show notes for my recommendations
- Walk starts indoors before leaving house. Dog should be calm and relaxed.
- If once outside, puppy pulls, stop! Slow down their mind at the beginning of walk by stopping your movement.
- If puppy reacts to stimulus, DO NOT REINFORCE BY SAYING A LOT OF COMMANDS TO PUPPY. Increase your distance and get puppy focused on your with a “sit” and “watch me”…say each command only once. DO NOT REPEAT PUPPIES NAME OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
- If puppy lays down on grass or sidewalk, bring a squeaky toy or treats to lure puppy and add a motivation for them to move.
- Be patient, and practice multiple times daily
Easy Walk Harness: https://amzn.to/33hmGpW
Mendota Slip Lead: https://amzn.to/34zuDHF
Mendota Leather Collar: https://amzn.to/3q9bGnA
Mendota 6' Leash: https://amzn.to/3JRkDcQ
Check out our sponsor Mendota Pet at http://mendotapet.com
Support the show (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/puppytalk)