This episode starts a change in the format for Puppy Talk Podcast. Once a week I will be providing detailed instructions of training commands for your puppy. This episode coaches you how to teach your puppy the "sit" command.
- Teaching sit using shaping
- Need training treats - see episode 11 for recommendations
- Also need a quiet place with no distractions for you and your puppy
- Lure food over puppies head and slightly back so their butt touches the ground and they sit.
- 4 parts: food lure, sit, mark the behavior, reward
- Do this 5 times with no mistakes. Go for 5/5 - (Jean Donaldson)
- Once they can do this 5/5, then you can add the command “sit” before offering the food lure. Say “sit”, then proceed with the lure, puppy sits, mark the behavior, and reward.
- Don’t add the word sit until the puppy knows the movement well and can do 5/5
- The next step is to use a hand signal by raising the palm up from your side to a 90 degree angle and also saying “sit”. After 5/5 of this then you can try removing the word and just using the hand signal.
- Practice makes perfect. 3-5 minutes a day of sit training
Visit our website address is https://www.puppytalkpodcast.com/
Visit our shows sponsor Top Gun Dog Training at https://topgundogtraining.com/
This podcast is produced and edited by Professional Podcast Services https://propodservices.com/
Support the show (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/puppytalk)