This episode is part a change in the format for Puppy Talk Podcast. Once a week I will be providing detailed instructions of training commands for your puppy. This episode coaches you how to teach your puppy the "down" command.
- Teaching down using shaping
- Need training treats - see episode 11 for recommendations
- Also need a quiet place with no distractions for you and your puppy
- Lure into sit.
- 4 parts: food lure, down, mark the behavior (yes or click), reward
- Clicker training - episode 15
- Do this 5 times with no mistakes. Go for 5/5 - (Jean Donaldson)
- Once they can do this 5/5, then you can add the command “down” before offering the food lure. Say “down”, then proceed with the lure, puppy goes down, mark the behavior, and reward.
- Don’t add the word “down” until the puppy knows the movement well and can do 5/5
- The next step is to use a hand signal by sweeping hand and arm the palm face down from your also saying “down”.
- After 5/5 of this then you can try removing the word and just using the hand signal.
- Practice makes perfect. 3-5 minutes a day of sit training
- Use when you want puppy settle down
- Use when you want puppy to behave
- Use when you want puppy to go to place (bed)
Our website https://www.puppytalkpodcast.com/
Our sponsor: https://topgundogtraining.com/
Support the show (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/puppytalk)